[tech] Can I use existing ssh keys for gemini identity?

Chris McGee newton688 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 20:11:46 BST 2021

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 2:43 PM Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane at sources.org>
wrote:

> Otherwise, the big problem with SSH is there are much less available
> libraries, compared to TLS.

I think the picture may have changed a bit in the last few years. There
appears to be mature libraries available for C (libssh), Java (JSCH), Go
(x/crypto/ssh) and Python, probably many others.

It would be nice to re-use my identities and trusts that I use for ssh, git
and gerrit for gemini (and other protocols too) with my own per-host
configurations. Another interesting side effect of using ssh as the
transport is that you could use ssh to script interactions with a gemini
server because the protocol is so simple, no need to implement gemini
versions of curl to do that. Similarly, setting up a gemini server could be
as simple as setting up ssh with a shell script to follow the protocol and
echo out the page for a given URI.