Anyone still using 16-32bit systems ?

Arun Isaac arunisaac at systemreboot.net
Thu Jul 15 13:04:29 BST 2021

Hi Nathan,

> I’d like to push back against this a bit. While I have an “if it ain’t
> broke, don’t fix it” mentality, one cannot justify running all old
> computers on environmental grounds because newer computers are so much
> more energy-efficient. Sure, the 486 in the closet might be capable of
> sending data over a serial port, but the Raspberry Pi it connects to
> that runs an operating system with modern TLS handling can handle
> everything the 486 can at a fraction of the power budget.

I think you aren't considering the embodied energy spent in
manufacturing electronics. It is usually way higher than the energy
spent in usage. See
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/06/embodied-energy-of-digital-technology.html

Quoting from the article,

The embodied energy of the memory chip alone already exceeds the energy
consumption of a laptop during its life expectancy of 3 years

Regards,
Arun