Git Forges

Jonathan McHugh indieterminacy at libre.brussels
Wed Sep 1 17:25:02 BST 2021

Hello all,

I have been deliberating regarding which git forge tool most compliments Gemini's protocol.

Naturally, web frontends such as Cgit are a product of legacy thinking - to serve git in a HTTP environment.

I do agree with Anna "CyberTailor", that Cgit outputting Gemini would be 'poggers'
=> https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/cgit/2021-April/004633.html

Alas, I equally am not so well positioned to adapt the HTTP coding in C
=> https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/html.c
=> https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/html.h

However, I have been looking into Gitolite further:
=> https://gitolite.com/gitolite Homepage
=> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Version-Control-Services.html Guix OS' service configuration settings

# Gemini Advantages with regards to Gitolite
* One could eschew READMEs and delve straight into writing GemText in repos
* Post pushing of repos could initiate Gemini parsing or syslinking functionality
* Output can be pushed into server content (according to parameters and ACL)
* Gemini content can provide the interface to users repos and how to make the most of clustered and decentralised forges.

# Classical Advantages
* Lean approach to managing repos via SSH(d) and more (CGit)
* Long pedigree
* Used at scale by Operating Systems
* Extensible
* Perl?

# Points of Concern
* A site with heavy commits could test the appropriateness of 'slow internet' Gemini
* This could obviously be mitigated with more granular servers, as well as federating (eventual
consistency?)

# Points of Inquiry
* Has anybody had success providing Gemini centric repos? - while I see lots of self hosters within the Gemini comm
unity, Im not sure Ive seen people go without HTTP services
* Do people have a positive impression of Gitolite?
* Or are there better approaches to Git forges with respect to Gemini?

Its also worth referencing Alan's recent comments regarding his hopes of Archlinux stype Wikis for serving Gemini interests
=> https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2021/007060.html Re: More Awesome Gemini

As well as Solderpunk's thoughts regarding the growth of the community at the start of 2021
=> https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2021/004642.html [announce] Gemini in 2021

Any thoughts?

Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy at libre.brussels