Upcoming Gemini Presentation, Brussels

Jonathan Lane tidux at sdf.org
Sat Sep 4 23:17:08 BST 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 03:26:07PM +0000, Andrew Singleton wrote:
> Unsure if this is something that will fit your tone or presentation length, but an explanation on Gemini as supplementary protocol rather than 'well why not refit the search query so you can use that to make a message board/chatroom/etc' or 'how about we add *thing*?'
>
> Arguments could be made for an expansion of Gemini, but the point of Gemini is this is literally all it does or really should do. Video streaming, shopping/banking, hat, message boards, etc are problems other protocols can solve and more power for people who come up with lean solutions for each (though I suspect shopping/banking won't ever change as you need institutional backing to roll those out.)
It should be possible in principle to do cryptocurrency purchases over
Gemini, although you'd be in practice limited to blockchains that can
consistently confirm a transaction in under ~30s to not break the
browser flow, and it would be a bad case of "this page best viewed in"
thanks to people wanting inline image previews for their shopping
experience.  I agree that without a major payment processor offering
official support, fiat currency and slow-blockchain (BTC, ETH, etc.)
payments are unlikely to work on Gemini.
tidux at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org