[off topic] dead internet theory

Alice lia at loveisanalogue.info
Wed Sep 8 07:58:49 BST 2021

Hello,

In my experience the shift between a user led internet and a tech company led internet happened in the early tennies, linked to the rise of smart phones and social media.

The small web, done by people who are not trying to monetize or self-promote still exists, it's just harder to find because it does not interest search engine and social media algorithms.

The blame doesn't fall entirely on tech companies: the fact that, from early on, people have been unwilling to pay for internet services has played a big role in shaping the internet as we know it now.

:-)
A.