[tech] trailing '?' for input (was: entry field in gemtext)

mbays mbays at sdf.org
Sun Sep 12 16:34:03 BST 2021

* Sunday, 2021-09-12 at 14:53 +0000 - nervuri <nervuri at disroot.org>:

>On Fri, 2021-09-10, mbays wrote:
>>=> /link? Enter your input
>
>So in order for a CGI script to do what you suggest:
>
>>* Doesn't break clients who ignore the convention, as long as the
>>server returns 10 to a request with empty query.
>
>it would have to return 10 in response to both "/link" and "/link?",
>which is not something we can expect everyone to do.

Yes. So the problem is that people might create links using this
convention without first checking that the target does return 10 on
empty query, breaking compatibility with clients not following the
convention.

I think I agree that this is enough of a problem to make the convention
a Bad Idea. Shame!

It could still make sense as part of the gemini spec itself, but I'm not
going to suggest that.