[Discussion] Why isn't there a horizontal rule?

Matthew Graybosch contact at starbreaker.org
Thu Sep 23 04:59:57 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 8:58 PM, Draco Metallium(Rodrigo S. Cañibano) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was going to send a long and passionate defence for the inclusion of
> the horizontal rule (or "The Thematic Break" according to mozilla web
> docs) when a line started with three hyphens. But on the last
> paragraph I just realize I had to check the mailing list archive
> before, and it turns out it had been already proposed, and not only
> that, but I can't find a counter argument:

There's nothing to stop you from using three hyphens on a line to suggest a horizontal rule/thematic break. It's just not in the Gemini spec so whether or not a client supports it depends entirely on the client's developer. Likewise with asterisks for Markdown-style italics and bold, but a line that begins with an asterisk will still be rendered as an item in an unordered list even if there's a terminating asterisk in that line, because using * for unordered lists /is/ in the spec.

--
Matthew Graybosch
https://starbreaker.org