[Logarion] Suggestions: Shorten the --help output, return control to shell prompt.

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Wed Jan 9 13:24:58 GMT 2019

On 9 January 2019 at 00:19:53, SP (sp at orbitalfox.eu) wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:13:28AM +0530, Refpga wrote:
> >Currently, running $logarion --help command displays the whole manpage,
> >and a pager captures the control of the console from there on. [..]
>
> Previously I thought the invocation of a pager to show the help message was unconventional.
> But when I tried it now, I though it actually made sense, because it doesn't litter the
> log with help-text.
> This is not something that should be used in the chainning of commands anyway, so it's
> ok if it captures control.
>
> >Running it with $logarion -h gives too short & useless information. It
> >doesn't even mention any options.
>
> Had a quick look for support for short `-h` message by Cmdliner, I didn't find anything.
> Other Cmdliner based programs don't seem to support that option either, which made me
> wonder if it's a "bad" convention.
>
> Maybe Daniel can elaborate on the above, I have copied to him.

I don't think short summaries work well in practice, I think it's preferable to have exhaustiveness and search (via pager) directly. See the comment here:

https://github.com/dbuenzli/cmdliner/pull/26#issuecomment-86120047

Regarding paging, some users dislike it, others' don't. If that bothers you simply invoke help with `--help=text` (`--help=t` will also work if you care about keystrokes).

Best,

Daniel