[Logarion] Shoud I be developing Logarion on Guix?

Andrew Miloradovsky andrew at interpretmath.pw
Thu Mar 28 22:30:33 GMT 2019

Yes, it probably would; there is actually a paper about it:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/paper-on-reproducible-bioinformatics-pipelines-with-guix/

"Reproducible builds is a crucial foundation for computational
experiments. We hope that PiGx and the reproducibility analysis we
presented in the paper can serve as a useful case study demonstrating
the importance of a principled approach to computational reproducibility
and the effectiveness of Guix in the pursuit of reproducible software
management."

WRT pros and cons:
- pros -- functionality, reproducibility, transactionality, and things
like that, hard to name all the benefits at once;
- cons -- disk space usage, steep learning curve (being just a power
UNIX user isn't enough, but there is a pretty good manual).

There's also paper describing Guix architecture, in comparison with Nix.
And the paper(s) for Nix* itself, but it's of only historical value now.

Ask me about the specifics. No guarantees, but I'll try to answer.