Dev: upcoming features and changes

Ben benulo at systemli.org
Tue Jun 15 11:36:29 BST 2021

So I have been re-learning Logarion yesterday and today and seeing how I
can integrate it with my workflow. I have converted
gemini://tilde.team/~benk/ to use Logarion as the back-end. My own bash
script wraps around it to provide automation, and I successfully
imported all of my old posts into Logarion, although if I wanted to
switch back to the old system exporting them from Logarion might be tricky!

Here are some of my opinions now that I'm using it in practice:

Deleting posts is not easy, because Logarion does not currently delete
files. I wrote a simple bash script that if I request it to delete a
.txt, it will also delete it from my export dir(s) as well as the
converted (.gmi) version of it.

I think the most sensible thing is to do (if I remember right, this was
the old behavior) a comparison when converting a directory, so when I do
`txt convert -t gmi export/` if export/ is found to contain a .txt file
that no longer exists in the archive's base directory, then that .txt
file will be deleted as well as any converted product of it. (At least
the .gmi file since I used -t gmi.)

The idea is that the directories used for conversion will always
accurately reflect the "master" copy of the archive and not have
anything left-over from deleted files.

Another thing that I am currently working around is the name of some
files which the converter generates. Specifically with gmi, the Gemini
host expects "index.gmi" to exist. I work around this leaving a symlink
in export/ to index.date.gmi, but ideally that file would be named
index.gmi by the converter so I wouldn't need the symlink anymore. If
you'd like this to be configurable, perhaps that could be a setting in
the config file.

I'm also symlinking "atom.xml" to "feed.atom" because my site was simply
previously using "atom.xml" so if that file isn't present Capcom and
maybe some subscribers who use Atom will lose the site. You don't have
to change this because the file name is arbitrary... I could send an
e-mail to Capcom and ask them to update my feed URI, but I wonder if
"atom.xml" is not the most standard file name for atom feeds?

Also what do you think of txt having a "list" command of some kind,
where it lists the texts by date? I can do "ls -t" but since that is
"newest first" it's kind of a pain for me to quickly see which texts
were my latest. Also if the file timestamps ever get messed up, I'd best
need Logarion to order the files for me based on the date provided in
their headers.

Ben

--
gemini://kwiecien.us/